For a much more detailed overview of what GDPR is and what new features have been added, please read the following thread Upcoming changes for GDPR compliance in XF1 and XF2.
A summary of the changes in this release for both XF1 and XF2:
- New notice position "Fixed" which fixes notices to the bottom of the page.
- GDPR: Ability to mark change log entries as "protected" so they will never be pruned
- GDPR: More detailed cookie notice which has to be explicitly acknowledged. It will appear in the new "Fixed" notice position.
- GDPR: Updated default Cookie help page text.
- GDPR: When deleting a user, give an option to change their name in order to anonymize content they have created.
- GDPR: Functionality to allow very basic personal details to be exported in XML format on one forum and imported into another to comply with data portability.
- GDPR: Require explict consent when registering and only log acceptance if consent was given.
- GDPR: New option to show "Require site email" option to be filled in during registration (with consent date being logged if appropriate).
- GPDR: Add a new option to anonymise IP addresses for Google Analytics.
Full details of how to install and upgrade XenForo can be found in the XenForo 2 Manual.
Note that when upgrading from XenForo 1.x, all add-ons will be disabled and style customizations will not be maintained. New versions of add-ons will need to be installed and customizations will need to be redone. We strongly recommended that you make a backup before attempting an upgrade. Once upgraded, you will not be able to downgrade without restoring from a backup.