XenForo 2.1 includes a large number of new features and improvements, including:
- Native push notifications on supported devices/browsers
- Editor button management
- Enhanced editor integration and advanced BB code option syntax
- Markdown support
- URL unfurling
- Emoji enhancements including an improved smilie menu with easy emoji access
- Video uploads
- Approval queue improvements
- Guest performance improvements including guest page caching
- Content bookmarking and sharing
- A fully featured REST API
- One click XenForo upgrades and easier add-on installation
- BB code and rich text editing for profile posts and comments
This is beta software. It is not officially supported. We do not recommend running it in production.
Please remember that this is beta software. It contains known bugs and incomplete functionality. We do not recommend running beta software in a production environment, and support is limited at this time to questions here on the community forums.
Add-ons and custom styles may be broken after upgrading to 2.1. You must test your add-ons thoroughly or look for updates. Be especially careful with add-ons that cover similar features to ones that are added to 2.1; these may conflict with the core XenForo data. If data conflicts are found, they will need to be resolved in a new add-on release or by removing the add-on before upgrading to 2.1.
If you choose to run beta software, it is your responsibility to ensure that you make a backup of your data. We recommend you do this before attempting an upgrade. If in doubt, always do a test upgrade on a copy of your production data.
Each of these has been updated to use the new framework and systems present in XenForo 2.1, including, where applicable:
- Use of Guzzle6 (XFES)
- Push notifications (of alerts)
- REST API (for XFRM... coming soon to XFMG)
The following are minimum requirements:
- PHP 5.6 or newer
- MySQL 5.5 and newer
- All of the add-ons listed here require XenForo 2.1.
- Enhanced Search requires at least Elasticsearch 2.0
Installation and upgrade instructions
Full details for how to install and upgrade XenForo can be found in the XenForo manual.
Note that the add-ons must be upgraded after upgrading to XF 2.1. Why not give One-click upgrades a try once the upgrade is complete to install the new add-on updates? If you do this, remember to uncheck the "Only check for stable upgrades" option in Options > Basic board information.
Please remember that this is beta/preview software. It contains known bugs and incomplete functionality. We do not recommend or support running beta software in a production environment. Support for beta releases is limited to questions here on the community forums.